Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Mon Jun 30 13:20:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Hmmm. I don't think "saga" is right- not sure why, but the connotations of
> that for me are completely different than the Bujold books.

	Hmm I see what you mean, I think I give saga other connotations as
well!

> All her sf is set in the same universe, where there are many settled worlds.
> They are mostly independent but there are a couple of several-planet
> empires. Her main sequence is the Vorkosigan books but there are a couple
> that are only loosely connected, Ethan of Athos (about an all-male planet-
> the settlers hated women- where the ovarian cultures are running out and a
> pioneer has to venture into the other worlds to replace them) and Falling
> Free (about a group of people who are owned by the corporation who
> genetically engineered them to live in space, and what happens when they
> become uneconomic for the company.)

	OOh, that sounds interesting. Actually all these books sound
interesting... When I have dug myself from under the post HP5 fallout
(several lists I am on exploded last week to the point I was getting
upwards of 500 emails a day. Urk. However, I would be very glad to discuss
it with people here too! I *really* loved it, found it very refreshing.) I
think I am going to have to put in a bit of Bujold time and investigate
these, they sound like a lot of fun, and from the samples you've pointed
me to I think I would get on with her writing. Thanks! Am very interested
to see if I agree with Hallie about the Hamlet in Space thing (which
sounds great), or if I would prefer another Shakespearean. I'm currently
working up a mild obsession with Henry V, both owing to recently having
seen the *spectacularly good* new National production, (easily the best
Modern Shakespeare I've seen and possibly the best Shakespeare I've seen
and I say that as one who can get very sniffy about attempts to update the
Bard)  and because late last night on another forum various similarities
between Henry V & Harry P popped into my mind (scars, destinies, that kind
of thing), but possibly I was merely desperately in need of a good kip...

	Anna