Patterns - oops

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Jun 29 14:43:43 EDT 2003

Ania followed Jon:

>> > well the Neanderthal genes bit would seem to be as
>> > we
>> > do seem to have any descent from them.
>>
>> Missed a word there - that should be we do NOT seem to
>> have any descent from them.
>>
>> Jon
>
>If there was interaction between humans and neanderthals it is possible that
>there was also interbreeding.

Haven't they recently found at least one skeleton in Spain or thereabouts
that seems to be of someone (adolescent, I think) with provably cro-magnon
*plus* neanderthal ancestry, or has that been immediately disproven as
unreliable, like the cobbled together bits of skeletons to make Piltdown
Man?  I'm sure I noticed it a year or so ago on Radio 4.  There was being
excitement about the idea that interbreeding had been possible, and might
have been more widespread than had been thought initially, and suchlike.

Minnow