HP review

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Sat Jun 28 15:22:46 EDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> Speaking as an outsider (in the sense that I won't be reading HP5 any time
> soon) I thought today's review in the Guardian was quite interesting, being
> a partial recantation from a former HP sceptic. It's at:
> http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,986180,00.html.
>
> And Anna, if you're out there, I liked today's Posy Simmonds a lot too.

	It was a good one, wasn't it?* I loved the way Posy drew the
hunched shoulders in the third to last panel! And I did like Lezard's HP5
review, he made some interesting points. All in all a very satisfying
Grauniad Review except that once again Julian Barnes' Pedant In The
Kitchen seems to be AWOL. I hope he hasn't stopped it, it was one of my
favourite parts of the Saturday Guardian...

	Speaking of HP5 there was an intelligent and provocative article
in the Boston Phoenix about the subversive aspects of Harry Potter, even
Potter-bystanders such as yourself might find it amusing! I really enjoyed
it.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/documents/02977459.htm

	Oh, and there's a great Posy Simmonds here, if you haven't seen it
it would be worth a go, it's an old one about sexndrugs in YA novels.  V.
v. funny and uniquely Posy!

http://books.guardian.co.uk/posysimmonds/page/0,12694,904863,00.html

	Anna

*The Grauniad deprived can find it here:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/posysimmonds/page/0,12694,986431,00.html