Patterns

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 07:45:36 EDT 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> I was having a problem about the Pleiades; Jon
> explains  [snip]...
 That's a lot more pattern for my
> money than I had any right to expect.  Seven sisters
> turning up in two places like that...  Ooooh, I
> *like*.
>
> How likely, after all, is cultural exchange on the
> subject, between the Greeks and the Aboriginal
> Australians?   Wow.
>
> Dazed and happy....  Patterns, patterns....
>
> The "the missing star used to be brighter" is nice
> too
> but it doesn't explain why the Greek thing has one
> of
> them present but invisible....  Some astronomer,
> please
> give possibilities?  It flared up (went nova?) and
> then vanished?  But then we wouldn't be able to see
> it
> with a telescope later, would we?  And the Japanese
> too have a "seven but you can't see one of them"
> idea...
> *do* stars gradually fade, but fast enough for them
> have been visible within living memory?
>
> Drat.  Now I have *another* glorious red herring to
> go
> off after.
>
> (But thanks anyway.)
>
> Minnow

Here are some websites if you want to follow up more
on the Pleiades. About ten years ago we had a
mini-planetarium visit the school and the universality
of the seven sisters legend was mentioned then and
intrigued me, but it was only when it came up here
that I thought to follow it up to see if it was true -
it seems it is.

http://ccil.org/~kmiles/dln/11-95/novpleid.html

http://www.ras.ucalgary.ca/~gibson/pleiades/
 if you follow the "mythologically speaking"  link and
then "my own thoughts" link you get to this page on
the mystery of the seventh star
http://www.ras.ucalgary.ca/~gibson/pleiades/pleiades_see.html

http://www.nrg.com.au/~devouia/pleiades.html
The aboriginal legend is own the right hand side

http://www.harappa.com/script/parpola12.html

http://www.pleiade.org/pleiades_02.html

http://www2.gol.com/users/stever/subaru.htm

another version of this one is at

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~tlaloc/archastro/ae19.html

while this one is more astronomy oriented

http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m045.html

but this one is for Tolkien fanatics

http://www.annalsofarda.dk/Annals-of-Arda/Object-index-tables/Object/Wilwarin.htm

However bringing all this back where it began it
woiuld seem that the Big Dipper is a more likely
candidate for "the seven stars in the sky" than the
Pleiades in "Green Grow the Rushes oh"

see

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiGRNRUSH4.html

http://www.acronet.net/~robokopp/english/greengro.htm

http://www.scouter.com/archives/Scouts-L/199705/0486.asp
[this one suggests that the term "gringo" comes from
this song which is a popular myth see
http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorg.htm
 - some of its other suggestions are also clearly
wrong such as nine shiners = nine planets]

http://www.schoolassemblies.btinternet.co.uk/scrip54.htm
[a very Christian interpretation here]

Jon (who finally has enough spare time to spend an
hour following up trivia on the Internet)