Pani Jadwiga

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jun 27 19:58:28 EDT 2003

> > When we checked out the name, we were pretty sure that the '-owa' ending
> > was for unmarried women, but maybe we were wrong?
>
> 'Fraid you were- -owa is for married women, as is Pani (though in modern
> Polish Pani is used as a formal way of addressing any grown-up woman). For
> unmarried ones we have -owna (o with an acute accent, pronounced like
> English 'oo'. -owna is therefore pronounced 'oovnah'). So, if unmarried, it
> would be Panna Jadwiga Zajaczkowna. You probably know that the diminutive of
> Jadwiga is Jadzia (like Jadzia Dax in Star Trek DS9- coincidence?), pron.
> approx. YAH-jah. Jadwiga is the Polish form of Hedwig. You probably know
> this too.

I know someone who goes by Judwiga and calls herself Jadzia in the SCA. It
makes it less confusing for other people, but I didn't know that Jadzia
was the diminutive!

Also didn't know about the Panna. Do you happen to know whether they would
have used it in medieval times?

There's a funny story about my grandfather, attending his first grown up
party when he was 18. He was so flushed with pride at being treated like a
adult and called 'Pan Kaczmarek' that he got very drunk. He never did THAT
again-- his monther came into his room very early the next day and asked
him "Well, Pan Kaczmarek, how do you feel?" and teased him unmercifully
about 'Pan Kaczmarek' for a long time... :)

> It does mean leveret, and it may well come from a town, too- I don't know.

*grin* the other reason that I chose it is because 'Hare' is a family name
on the other side.

Speaking of hares, has anyone on the list read Elizabeth Goudge's _The
little white horse_?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_