Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 27 15:17:16 EDT 2003

>Lady Alys would never have heard of a uterine replicator and might not have
>pushed for its use if she had.

Nor would I; I think we have had this discussion before.

>  Even if she hadn't taken the genetic-purity
>path (and I seriously doubt that about her) her lack of knowledge is what
>would have killed her child.  Cordelia has a different kind of
>bloody-mindedness that Alys lacks (and vice-versa; Cordelia never does learn
>how to work within the system, and Alys is its queen).  After the child was
>born, well...I really can't decide if that-idiot-Ivan *would* have been
>better off with a passel of brothers and sisters.  I think he turned out
>pretty well, even if it did take him about thirty years to really grow up.
>(Of course, you could say that about a lot of people.)

I have a secret liking for Ivan. One of the reasons a Civil Campaign is my
fave Miles book and Diplomatic Immunity is the least fave has to do with
the presence of Ivan and the nature of his behaviour in the former.

Also, having a dreadful relationship with my own mother, I can't ever truly
believe in Cordelia as a parent. Lady Alys is much more probable.

Robyn