Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jun 27 12:54:08 EDT 2003

Melissa wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:52:29 +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>>Melissa replied to me frivolling over her words:
>>>You do seem to enjoy asking for trouble, don't you?  :)
>>Eh... I think I need a copy of the fifth to stand on...  <sniggle>
>You can't have mine; it's worn out from my years of parenthood.

I shall borrow one from one of my daughters.  :-)

[Cordelia]
>>>Certainly Miles would never have existed if Cordelia had been a
>>>good Vor lady.
>>I can work out what you mean there, by comment in the one I've read so far
>>and I think you are probably right.
>If you'd been reading the books in order like a good little fishie....  :)

...I wouldn't be having all the fun of working these things out for myself.
Yeah, true.  What I *have* worked out it that at some point in the distant
past I must have read one, and then blanked it as not worth following up
on, because some of the things I'm extrapolating feel a bit like memory.  I
am going to assume, from hints on this list, that it was one from near the
very beginning of the writing, and that Bujold has been learning her trade
since.  As it were.  But if that is what happened, it may be just as well I
*didn't* start at the beginning again, not so?

BTW, I have these 'good little fishie' friends, little brown rotund
unobtrusive fellows, front end is all teeth when they open their mouths....
Piranha, they're called....  They're awfully cute once you get to know
them.

>>  Maybe I was sympathising
>>with Mark: she'd be *fine* if one were used to it, but she's a bit
>>overwhelming for Mere Mortals!
>Yes, poor Mark didn't grow up with her.  If she adopted *me*, I'd be
>terrified!

What, you?  Never!  It would have been very interesting to observe, mind
you, the analytical approach meeting a Jeenyus who is Allways Right.  :-)

Minnow