Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Fri Jun 27 11:46:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:45:43 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>I think she's a better mother for the average Barrayaran than a Barrayaran
>>might be.  Certainly Miles would never have existed if Cordelia had been a
>>good Vor lady.

>You mean like Lady Alys?

Lady Alys would never have heard of a uterine replicator and might not have
pushed for its use if she had.  Even if she hadn't taken the genetic-purity
path (and I seriously doubt that about her) her lack of knowledge is what
would have killed her child.  Cordelia has a different kind of
bloody-mindedness that Alys lacks (and vice-versa; Cordelia never does learn
how to work within the system, and Alys is its queen).  After the child was
born, well...I really can't decide if that-idiot-Ivan *would* have been
better off with a passel of brothers and sisters.  I think he turned out
pretty well, even if it did take him about thirty years to really grow up.
(Of course, you could say that about a lot of people.)

Melissa Proffitt