Now the Vorkosigan books

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 08:42:46 EDT 2003

> Minnow
> Can someone think of some other person to whom to liken a hyperactive
> decisive survivor-in-the-face-of-all-odds type?  (I will refrain from
> offering the real-life, as opposed to the Shakespearean, Richard III, but
> only by a great effort.)

Flashman, perhaps, or Avon (sp?) out of Blake's Seven. They do tend to be at
least slightly villainous, though, don't they? (Not wanting to get into
Ricardian debates - I lived in York for a while and know it's a touchy
subject with some.) Is Miles like that? I might have added James Bond, but
he's not exactly hyperactive except when duty calls him to it - given his
druthers he'd probably spend the rest of his life in sex, drink and
gambling. But then villains are always so wonderfully proactive, aren't
they? And optimistic - especially in cartoon series, it's never 'You beat me
three times now, guess I'll throw in the towel', but rather 'I shall be
back, and next time I shall PREVAIL'. And cheerful (think of all those evil
laughs). Thoroughly admirable in every way, really.

On YMMV, it's 'your mileage may vary'. Since I joined this list, I have
found this website invaluable: http://www.acronymfinder.com.

Charlie