Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jun 27 07:52:29 EDT 2003

Melissa replied to me frivolling over her words:

>>I love the idea of a character's having chosen his mother....
>>(paxpaxpaxpaxpaxpaxpax)
>>(don't hit me)
>You do seem to enjoy asking for trouble, don't you?  :)

Eh... I think I need a copy of the fifth to stand on...  <sniggle>

>>I am not convinced I would choose her as a *mother*, though.  Commanding
>>officer, yes, unhesitatingly, leige lady, undoubtedly, but *mother*?  I am
>>not convinced I want a Betan mother.
>I think she's a better mother for the average Barrayaran than a Barrayaran
>might be.  Certainly Miles would never have existed if Cordelia had been a
>good Vor lady.

I can work out what you mean there, by comment in the one I've read so far
(*Memory* looks as if it may take a little longer, from the standpoint of
page 177) and I think you are probably right.  Maybe I was sympathising
with Mark: she'd be *fine* if one were used to it, but she's a bit
overwhelming for Mere Mortals!

Minnow