Now the Vorkosigan books

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 26 21:53:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> I can now tell you, as a result of empirical research, that *Mirror Dance*
> is probably as good a place to start as any.  You don't need to have read
> the back-story first: enough is presented within the book to make it clear
> what's going on.  One can always go chronological later.

...hm. The problem with starting with Mirror Dance, I think, is that it's
not a book that lets one get to know Miles terribly well. The Warrior's
Apprentice really is the best place to start, if you want to start with
Miles and not Cordelia.

> My informant and book-lender, who knows me possibly better than any other
> single human being on this planet, handed me five or so and said it
> wouldn't make much odds which of them I took first.  The others she put in
> the grab-bag were *Memory*, *Ethan of Athos*, *Cetaganda* and *A Civil
> Campaign*.  I will probably take 'em in reverse alphabetical order of
> title.

I would suggest that you wait to read A Civil Campaign until you've read
Komarr. No, of course, it's not *vital*; and you seem to be less focused
than I on "but I *must* know what's happened before!"; but (oh, lordy,
it's hard to do this without being spoilery) the backstory is presented in
slightly different ways, and it's good to know how it really happened.
Ethan of Athos is really standalone, although one of its characters is a
secondary character in the Miles books. And Cetaganda kind of feels like a
standalone Miles book (although it's got useful background for Diplomatic
Immunity), probably because it was written much more recently than its
chronology.