Now the Vorkosigan books

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 17:47:08 EDT 2003

Elizabeth came back with:

>So now my question is - since I'm obviously going to HAVE to read the
>Vorkosigan books, and haven't read any yet (Though Curse of Chalion jumped
>straight onto my Keepers list) - which one should I read first?
>Should I read them in the order they were written, or is there a better
>order?

That was my position until about 1700 hours local to here: I'd read Curse,
and avoided the ongoing Vorkosigan saga because too many of the wrong
people had told me how great they were.

I can now tell you, as a result of empirical research, that *Mirror Dance*
is probably as good a place to start as any.  You don't need to have read
the back-story first: enough is presented within the book to make it clear
what's going on.  One can always go chronological later.

My informant and book-lender, who knows me possibly better than any other
single human being on this planet, handed me five or so and said it
wouldn't make much odds which of them I took first.  The others she put in
the grab-bag were *Memory*, *Ethan of Athos*, *Cetaganda* and *A Civil
Campaign*.  I will probably take 'em in reverse alphabetical order of
title.

I continue to think her a fine and great-hearted lady, regardless of
suggestions that she has a heart of stone...  After all, she is lending me
her signed copies!

Minnow