Super Summer Annual Intros!

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Jun 26 16:31:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:
|Isn't Amy Unbounded fabulous? I started with the trade paperback
|"Belondwegg Blossoming" (not sure I got the spelling on that right
|and it's currently packed in a box) and immediately ordered all of
|the mini-comins from marsimport.com. I think they're comics that many
|people on this list would enjoy. Not sure I'm up to describing them
|accurately . . . anyone else who knows them want to give it a go?

Amy Unbounded.  How to explain?  And how to explain why I suspect most
people on this list would really like it?  And whether to do so, given
how difficult it is to get a hold of them, without resorting to
mail-order?

Amy Unbounded is a minicomic [1] by Rachel Hartman.  Last year she
received a Xeric Grant [2] which she used to put out a graphic novel of
her most complete storyline "Belondweg Blossoming".  The story takes
place in the fictional land of Goredd which is roughly parallel to late
medieval/early Renaissance Western Europe.  The country has some Bad Guy
laws, which selfish people sometimes use to exploit others, but for the
most part, the people you meet in Goredd are likable, individual, and
interesting.  It is almost entirely non-fantasy, except for the dragon.
Amy is -- how old?  -- maybe 10 or 12.  Definitely pre-pubescent, unlike
her two best female friends.  She is silly, creative, and mischievous,
and a casual reading might show her to be the Innocent Child, but that
would be an incomplete reading.  Amy and her friend Bran are well aware
of the rotten things which happen to some of their friends (a female
merchant will lose her business if she doesn't marry; a spinster sister
is a virtual slave; a guild punishes a guild member who refuses to leave
his farm and move to town), but they aren't Heroes who will save the day
(despite Amy's imaginings.  They're kids, and they live in the world,
and do what they can, and move on when there's nothing they can do.
Structurally, it's probably closer to realistic section than to fantasy.

Reasonably similar in feel to Linda Medley's Castle Waiting.

[1] a self published comic, made the old-fashioned way: Xerox machine
and stapler.  Distributed at comic conventions and through the better
comic book stores, one of which I am lucky enough to live near.  Also
available through mail-order: http://www.amyunbounded.com/orderamy.html

[2]  http://www.xericfoundation.com/what.html

-deborah
--
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what
feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist