Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 26 08:54:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'd recommend chronological, but not
> starting with Shards/Barrayar or _Cordelia's Honor_.  (Not because I
> did it this way - I started with _Memory_, which was a *terrible*
> place to start.  Didn't prevent my becoming an addict though.)   I
> know I've talked to several people who've started out of order, gone
> back and read the pre-Miles books, and said they were glad they
> hadn't read them first.

Really? I read Shards of Honor about four years ago and really liked it. I
also borrowed Barrayar from the same person, and started reading it, but
then classes started again and I got swamped and never finished it. Then
this year, I borrowed the entire series from my boyfriend and sped through
it, starting again with Cordelia's books. And I don't know what I was on
before, stopping without having finished Barrayar, because I adored it.
Cordelia is one of the niftiest characters I have ever met. I suppose it
could work to start with The Warrior's Apprentice; but I think that Shards
of Honor, in particular, provides very necessary background about Bothari,
and Barrayar shows where Miles comes from. I'm glad I met Cordelia and
Aral as people, before I met them as Miles's parents.