Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Caroline Mills carrie at pitofdespair.org
Thu Jun 26 05:31:56 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:16:21AM +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'd recommend chronological, but not
> starting with Shards/Barrayar or _Cordelia's Honor_.  (Not because I
> did it this way - I started with _Memory_, which was a *terrible*
> place to start.  Didn't prevent my becoming an addict though.)   I
> know I've talked to several people who've started out of order, gone
> back and read the pre-Miles books, and said they were glad they
> hadn't read them first.  Not sure I can explain the response, but it
> is worth knowing that you won't miss anything essential if you start
> with _The Warrior's Apprentice_, and you will start with Miles in all
> his (wildly immature at the beginning) glory. :)

I started with Cordelia's Honour.  I loved it, but did then have trouble
with the first Miles book I tried (Borders of Infinity), because the
characters I really wanted to know about were barely mentioned, if at
all.  I still haven't read the Warriors Apprentice, but I suspect that
this makes a better transition between the generations.  I found the Vor
Game disappointing, but all the others I've read have been great.

My favourite character in the series is still Cordelia, probably
followed by Mark & Kareen.  I do like Miles, but I think the people
around him are often more interesting.

Caroline