Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jun 26 04:16:21 EDT 2003

>On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:39:28 +1200, Elizabeth Evans wrote:
>
>>So now my question is - since I'm obviously going to HAVE to read the
>>Vorkosigan books, and haven't read any yet (Though Curse of Chalion jumped
>>straight onto my Keepers list) - which one should I read first?
>>Should I read them in the order they were written, or is there a better
>>order?
>
>I vote that Deborah posts this somewhere on the website, because it's almost
>the most common non-DWJ question we have.  :)
>
>Reading them in the order they were written is a slightly different
>experience than chronological order, because the characters mature quite a
>lot as Bujold became more experienced (perfectly natural, and a good thing).
>I vote for chronological myself, because I figure anyone coming late to the
>series should take advantage of its availability.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I'd recommend chronological, but not
starting with Shards/Barrayar or _Cordelia's Honor_.  (Not because I
did it this way - I started with _Memory_, which was a *terrible*
place to start.  Didn't prevent my becoming an addict though.)   I
know I've talked to several people who've started out of order, gone
back and read the pre-Miles books, and said they were glad they
hadn't read them first.  Not sure I can explain the response, but it
is worth knowing that you won't miss anything essential if you start
with _The Warrior's Apprentice_, and you will start with Miles in all
his (wildly immature at the beginning) glory. :)

Hallie.