RE Introductions and comments

Wed Jun 25 23:46:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:22:10 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

>Melissa
>
><I did read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry for the
>first time (part of the curriculum project) and
>it pissed me off, which I imagine is the point.>
>
>I love that book, and its successors.  Does the
>fact that I'm a non USAian significantly alter my
>perspective I wonder (I suspect it does).

Very likely.  It makes me ill that this was ever part of our history.  I
mean, yes, I loved the book, but it also made me angry at the same time.  I
think if I had been young when I read it, I would have had a less intense
reaction; as an adult, nothing disgusts me more than other adults hiding the
evil they do behind that veil of social acceptability, a.k.a. mob mentality.

Melissa Proffitt