Had to ask...Now the Vorkosigan books

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 25 17:39:28 EDT 2003

Minnow said:
I am told I can if I want read one or two of the later Miles
> >>Vorkosigan books in isolation and not feel that I am missing
> great scads of
> >>important back-story.

And Robyn replied:
I think the person/s who told you this have a heart of stone.
> You CAN read
> >one Miles Vorkosigan book if you are the kind of person who can eat one
> >potato chip or one square of chocolate. Yes, the novels do stand
> on their
> >own, but they are so excellent they make you want to read the rest.

Then Melissa responded:
> I completely agree with this; a loosely-connected series still
> benefits from
> reading all the books, even if it's possible to read each volume in
> isolation.  What's more, the Vorkosigan books *are* a single chronological
> narrative, but Bujold has gone to great lengths to make the individual
> volumes accessible to new readers--so they'll go back and read the rest.

So now my question is - since I'm obviously going to HAVE to read the
Vorkosigan books, and haven't read any yet (Though Curse of Chalion jumped
straight onto my Keepers list) - which one should I read first?
Should I read them in the order they were written, or is there a better
order?

Regards
Elizabeth.