Eddings/High Fantasy

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Jun 25 14:54:28 EDT 2003

Minnow said:

>Oh, gawd.  That's a serious indictment.  Wasting good ideas is probably a
>sin against the Holy Ghost or something.  Do you ever feel the urge, as I
>do, to rescue minor characters who are wasted on the book/author they got
>landed with, and take them away and give them a book of their own where
>they won't be messed about with?

Yes, I've wanted to do this. And this is one of the reasons that I
enjoyed the new Harry Potter book as much as I did. It's the way she
deepens the lives of the central characters (Harry, Sirius, Snape
especially) and makes me love smaller characters that I didn't think
I'd ever care for (Neville is the prime example of this, although it
happens to Trelawney too!). I can't wait to find the time to read it
again!

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. Thomas Jefferson

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net