Had to ask...

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 14:07:20 EDT 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> But is there not a slight difference between a
> series that is definitely
> meant to be a single chronological narrative, such
> as Potter, and one which
> doesn't depend for each book's coherence on
> knowledge of all that has gone
> before?  I am told I can if I want read one or two
> of the later Miles
> Vorkosigan books in isolation and not feel that I am
> missing great scads of
> important back-story.

er.  The Vorkosigan books are meant to be a single
chronological narrative, at least the Miles ones (the
two Cordelia ones could be read separately).  Sure,
you *could* read some of them in isolation and it
would still be enjoyable and coherent, but I do think
you would loose something -- possibly quite a bit.
And I don't think there's much difference between the
Vorkosigan books and the Harry Potter books in this
regard.

--jenwa.