Had to ask...

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 25 13:00:38 EDT 2003

>But is there not a slight difference between a series that is definitely
>meant to be a single chronological narrative, such as Potter, and one which
>doesn't depend for each book's coherence on knowledge of all that has gone
>before?  I am told I can if I want read one or two of the later Miles
>Vorkosigan books in isolation and not feel that I am missing great scads of
>important back-story.

I think the person/s who told you this have a heart of stone. You CAN read
one Miles Vorkosigan book if you are the kind of person who can eat one
potato chip or one square of chocolate. Yes, the novels do stand on their
own, but they are so excellent they make you want to read the rest.

>Interestingly, I just read a Mercedes Lackey set in her usual world, and
>presumably fitting somewhere into her careful historical plan, and didn't
>even feel the need to know in which Age of Valdemar it was happening.  My
>feeling is that this speaks well of her as an author, really.

If you can read one Lackey without caring where it is in the series, you
could certainly do it with a Potter book. They have a heck of a lot more
internal coherence.

Robyn