Sheila Chandra

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Wed Jun 25 04:42:33 EDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Aimee Smith wrote:

> Sheila Chandra - what's her music like? She got a spot on the The Two Towers
> soundtrack, was good.

	Her music has been very varied over the 22 years or so of her
career. She began as a 16 year old in the Hindipop band Monsoon, who had a
top ten hit with their first single "Ever So Lonely" (and I have always
had a soft spot for Prem Kavita/Wings of THe Dawn). She has a very
beautiful, richly melodic voice, and though she's often considered an
Anglo-Asian artist she was one of the pioneers of World Fusion and her
music doesn't really belong to the traditions of any one country, or two
countries, it belongs to all of them, she uses techniques from everywhere.
She's also done a lot of experimentation with the possibilities of vocal
music, my favourites are the ABoneCroneDrone series, where she's working
with multilayered drones and the melodies that arise from them, and the
Speaking in Tongues series, where she uses a calculation technique used to
teach people to play tablas as the building blocks for very emotional,
playful and exhilarating music. What I'd suggest if you are interested is
that you get hold of Moonsung, a restrospective album put out by Real
World, because I think that has a great selection of the many styles she
has worked with, otherwise maybe try The Zen Kiss (also Real World). If
you are clever you might be able to listen to some samples at the Real
World website, I've never got this to work, but then my computer can be
ornery. Click on "Audio Wall" to see if yours will behave...

http://realworldrecords.com/index.html

(Oh, and if you can get the soundsamples to work & you like vocal music
you might like Yungchen Lhamo, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and Iarla O'Lionaird
as well, they are all very different, but all stunning vocalists. The
Voices Of The Real World compilation is great too)

	Anna