Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 11 22:53:45 EDT 2003

Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> >What I was thinking of is something like - adults get upset if there's a
> >situation or a word they don't understand. Children don't, because the
world

Put them on to Umberto Eco. I loved Name of the Rose and still don't know
what a great many of the words in it meant. I started reading with a
dictionary beside me (a big one) and half of them still weren't in there
*and* it had been translated.

I've gathered a lot of my knowledge from fiction (I learn better if there's
a story/context anyway, or if at the very least the cases are bizarre and
interesting). And if I already had the knowledge, the understanding and
appreciation have almost always been extended by it. DWJ and TP are both
good examples of this.
But I'm also looking forward to going home for the holidays, sitting in the
old plush armchair in the library and reading the Encylcopedia Brittanica.

Kathleen.