Super Summer Annual Intros!

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 24 20:24:16 EDT 2003

Jackie named, among her favourite authors:

Frank and Ernestine Gilbreth, and mentioned:
Innside Nantucket, by Frank Gilbreth, who co-wrote Cheaper by
> the Dozen with his sister Ernestine.  They wrote the sequel together,
> Belles on their Toes, and then Frank went on to write several other books
> that are half family stories and half history and quite fictionalized,
> I'd be willing to bet.  Ernestine went on to write several novels, but I
> haven't read those yet.

I just loved Cheaper by the Dozen when I read it many years ago, and finally
last year I managed to track down a second-hand copy.  The Gilbreth's father
was a time-and-motion study expert, and we have 3 of his books in the
University's Engineering Library, including 'Motion study : a method for
increasing the efficiency of the workman.'
I wonder if today's engineering students still study him.

Regards
Elizabeth.