Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 17:53:20 EDT 2003

Melissa:
> I vaguely remember something like this in reference to a kid bringing his
> mother to a DWJ book signing or something, and the mother said her son
liked
> the book but didn't understand it, and the boy rolled his eyes and said
that
> he understood it just fine, it was his mother who didn't get it.  Wish I
> could remember which book it was.  Or where I heard the story.

Yeah, I read this too (on the Web I think, but not sure), and have been
trying to find it again for some time! It was in an article about the
experience of being commissioned to write an adult book for the first time
(ie Sudden Wild Magic) and the different kinds of things editors expected
you to put in (or not), and the preconceptions DWJ realised she had about
the differences between writing for children and for adults. The book the
boy and his mother were talking about wasn't SWM, though. Anyone?

Charlie