Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Tue Jun 24 14:55:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:08:34 -0400 (EDT), <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

>> Sometimes I'd really really like to know what's going on in the
>> author/creator's head--what motivates the throwaway references.  In my boy's
>> Pokemon video there are two villains named Jesse and James.  When I
>> explained why this was ha-ha funny the kids told me that later episodes have
>> a Butch and a Cassidy as well.  This does strike me as unnecessary
>> sophistication--but I don't like Pokemon at all, so I'm probably just too
>> old.
>
>I dunno. I've always seen references to Butch Cassidy and Jesse James are
>more kid things than adult things-- going back to things like the Brady
>bunch, etc.

Kids today have no idea who those people are, which is what makes it a
reference for adults.  Westerns--cowboys and Indians--the wild west--it's
all part of an earlier generation that didn't know Pokemon.  But I'm not
sure what you mean by the Brady Bunch in this context.  There are certainly
a lot of movies being made (and television shows I suppose) that are remakes
of movies and TV from when now-adults used to be kids.  But those really are
for the adults of today, playing on that nostalgia, and I think that's
different from a show aimed at children that also contains references for
adults.

Melissa Proffit