Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Tue Jun 24 12:57:25 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:28:07 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>What I was thinking of is something like - adults get upset if there's a
>situation or a word they don't understand. Children don't, because the world
>is full of things they don't undrestand and they want to learn about them.
>So writing for children gives you more scope.
>Which sounds like a dwj-ish thing to say, but it may have been another
>author I'm misremembering.

I vaguely remember something like this in reference to a kid bringing his
mother to a DWJ book signing or something, and the mother said her son liked
the book but didn't understand it, and the boy rolled his eyes and said that
he understood it just fine, it was his mother who didn't get it.  Wish I
could remember which book it was.  Or where I heard the story.

Anyway, maybe it's time for someone to write _The Closing of the Adult
Reader Mind_.  A guy at my church who is hooked on Harry Potter (he had the
nerve to bring book five on Sunday; our meetings are three hours long and he
said he wanted the option to do something interesting) is adamantly opposed
to reading fiction...says he needs to be able to learn stuff, not just be
entertained.  Which struck me as an idiotic thing to say, because it's an
implicit admission that he doesn't have the intellectual prowess to learn
except when things are spelled out for him.  And yet it's a very common
misconception among adults: facts are for learning, fiction is for
entertaining, and never the twain shall meet.  I am dying for the day when
someone in Sunday School compliments me on some erudite comment and I can
say, "Actually, I didn't really understand that aspect of faith until I read
_Carpe Jugulum_ by Terry Pratchett.  It's a fantasy novel.  You really
should read it someday."

Melissa Proffitt