Harry Potter Book Five (note careful spelling-out of subject :-)

Tue Jun 24 12:45:32 EDT 2003

No, I don't have anything to say about it yet.  It's been weird--I mentioned
that I had an early hold at the library and so I got it yesterday with
little effort on my part, but it seems that my reputation as the Rabid Book
Person has led to others believing that I would a) buy the book immediately
and b) loan it to them so they don't have to.  Then I also realized it would
take longer for Jacob to read it to the kids than the three-week limit our
library gives us.  So now I have to track down a copy or place an order at
Amazon.com or something.  But in the meantime I am reading the library copy.
Okay.  I do have something to say about it.  Remembering my lukewarm
reaction to the first two books, I'm dumbfounded at how much this series has
improved over time.  Sure, this is a much darker book, but it's also a lot
better integrated and Rowling is calling into question what we always
thought we knew about certain key characters--extending her treatment of
Snape to others both "bad" and "good."  I'm way impressed.

And Dorian's comment about laughing her ass off at something in another post
made me think of Mad-Eye Moody's warning about not keeping your wand in your
back pocket....

Melissa Proffitt
carefully stowing the wand somewhere less dangerous