Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 24 08:50:52 EDT 2003

Minnow wrote:
> I'd suggest one that doesn't have too many references to
> things she may not yet have encountered: <snip> the
> Homeward Bounders is improved by having some idea who
> Prometheus is -- for instance.  And Howl has all the
> John Donnery...

I agree with the basic point, but disagree about Howl- I'd never heard of
Donne when I read it. (I went out and found his Collected Poems after I read
Howl, in fact.) The bit that's integral to the plot, the poem/curse, is
explained, and the others are little fun references that you catch if you
know the poems.
I also reckon that once someone has got hooked on dwj ;-) a book with
references they don't understand might be OK- you have to hear of the Norse
gods first *some*where, and why not as a result of reading 8DoL? Didn't She
Herself say that children mind less about not getting things than adults,
because they quite often don't get things, and they read the bits they do
get more attentively? (Rhetorical question, but also not, that is, I think I
remember reading something like that somewhere, but ICBW.)
Jennifer