Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 24 02:54:31 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 03:13, Aimee Smith wrote:
> I want to show DWJ to my ten year old sister. Suggestions?
> She's a fantasy reader and she's on to eddings, though I'd like to
> start with something light and funny and as interesting / action
> packed as possible...

I started at about that age with _Cart and Cwidder_. My soon-to-be
eight-year-old is reading the Chrestomanci books (liked _The Magicians
of Caprona_ best until she really got into _The Lives of Christopher
Chant_).

> Would Wilkins' Tooth a good one or too young? Eight Days of Luke?

Both of those for realistic-story readers rather than confirmed fantasy
readers, I think. Also _The Ogre Downstairs_.

> Tale of Time City?

Hmm, depends on her personality rather than her reading habits, I'd say.

> I don't know if she's read Howl but I will get her
> to read that if not. Fire and Hemlock bored her and she didn't finish
> it, and I don't think I would show her DS just yet.

I can imagine about F&H - it's very much a teenage book (says the mother
of a nine-year-old who gets bored by the same kind of thing in the same
way; fortunately she knows, from experience, that when I say "try again
in a few years" I'm usually right).

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-May-2003