Super Summer Annual Intros!

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 06:28:34 EDT 2003

> > From: Abigail
> > But <gloat> I *have* got a copy of The Skiver's Guide. </gloat>
>Jennifer:
> That funny noise from the direction of London is my teeth grinding in
envy!

Mine too, so you have it in stereo...

However, a few months ago I ordered the Skiver's Guide through my university
(for professional reasons, you understand - I am writing a book about DWJ
amongst other people), and they eventually got hold of the Cambridge
University Library copy. CUL is a notoriously snotty institution at the best
of times, but this time they outdid themselves. The Skiver's Guide was
wrapped in a special cardboard cover, tied with ribbons - something I've
only ever seen before with precious 17thC tomes. It was NOT to be read
outside the library and NOT to be photocopied lest its precious spine be
cracked. And of course, once I undid the ribbons out came a perfectly
ordinary-looking paperback with a cartoon on the cover.

The library staff cracked up, though the spine remained pristine.

Charlie