Super Summer Annual Intros!

Abigail Gawith A.Gawith at tarragon-et.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 16:42:21 EDT 2003

I mostly lurk, but this time round I thought I'd join in with the great
unveiling...

Name: Abigail Gawith.

Living in: The middle of nowhere (well, it feels like it - I live in a
village in the Cambridgeshire Fens, 25 miles north of Cambridge).

Age: 26.

What I do when not playing here : Software engineer.

Married/partnered/?:  Yes, in that my boyfriend and I have been together for
seven years; no, in that we don't live together.  English is definitely
short of useful words to describe relationships!

Offspring (of any variety): None.

First DWJ/when: Charmed Life, Wilkin's Tooth or The Ogre Downstairs.  My
mother bought me all three (ex-library) when I was 6 or 7.  I was a
confirmed fan by the time I was 8.

Favourite DWJ: Fire and Hemlock, Howl's Moving Castle, The Ogre Downstairs.
And The Homeward Bounders.  And... <sigh>

Least favourite DWJ: Sudden Wild Magic, Black Maria.  I'm ignoring the books
for young children, which I don't think really count.

DWJ I like more than the rest of the list does: Tale of Time City.  I'd
definitely put it in the top tier.

DWJ I like less than the rest of the list does: Deep Secret.  Don't know why
- I expect it'll grow on me with time.

DWJ I've never read: Changeover, Yes Dear, and probably some short stories.
But <gloat> I *have* got a copy of The Skiver's Guide. </gloat>

Other authors/books (limiting myself to SF/fantasy): Lois McMaster Bujold,
Connie Willis, Barbara Hambly, Tim Powers, Robin Hobb, _A Song of Ice and
Fire_ (George R. R. Martin), Sheri S. Tepper, Paula Volsky, _Ash_ (Mary
Gentle), Rosemary Kirstein, _Dancer of the Sixth_ (Michelle Shirey Crean),
Simon R. Green.  If I added in my lists for other genres, this would get
very long, but I want to plug Diana Norman (historical novels), _Love of
Stones_ by Tobias Hill and _Carter Beats the Devil_ by Glen David Gold
anyway.  They're fantastic, read them. :)

Authors/books I've been introduced to by the list: Dorothy Dunnett,
Georgette Heyer, Martha Wells, Megan Whalen Turner, Martine Leavitt, Garth
Nix, Judith Merkle Riley, _War for the Oaks_, _Sorcery and Cecelia_.  Keep
'em coming!

Music: Not something I really define myself by, though I usually have
something playing, but: Vangelis, Alan Parsons Project, ELO, Garbage,
Roxette, Goldfrapp.  Also, Classic FM [a national independent radio station
that plays classical music].  Make of that what you will...

Currently reading: Indulging in a complete reread of the Vorkosigan Saga.

Books waiting for: _Paladin of Souls_ (Bujold - and please please let Amazon
UK actually ship me the US hardback I've ordered, not the British trade
paperback that comes out at the same time); _A Feast for Crows_ (Martin -
not out until September in the US, or *February* in the UK); the new Mary
Gentle (_A Sundial in a Grave_, October); the new Robin Hobb (_Fool's Fate_,
also October).  The new Martha Wells, in paperback.  Second-hand, I'm
looking in particular for _Element of Fire_ and _City of Bones_ by Martha
Wells, and _City of Diamond_ by Jane Emerson.  (And I know I could do an
online search, but that would spoil the fun...)

Favourite film: _Bladerunner_ or _The Fifth Element_ or _Raiders of the Lost
Ark_ or _The Princess Bride_ or _The Rocky Horror Picture Show_, depending
on mood.  With a soft spot for _Arsenic and Old Lace_.