Introductions

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Jun 19 17:43:57 EDT 2003

Name: Roger, sometimes known as Firedrake.

Living in: London.

Age: 30s.

What I do when not playing here:  Computer-wrangling for both fun and
profit (no Windows so it stays fun); lots of reading; wargaming;
carpentry (not very well yet); role-playing; cookery; flight simulation;
and so on. Where do I indent for the 28-hour days?

Married/partnered/?: Yes.

Offspring (human variety): None.

Offspring (four-legged): None. Unless you count the computers, most of
which have four legs; about 20 of them at the moment, 12 currently
running and networked.

First DWJ/when: I suspect it was Hexwood, about six years ago.

Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!): Whichever one I'm
reading, usually. But Hexwood and Deep Secret and Fire and Hemlock stay
at the top of my mind. And the Tough Guide.

Least favourite DWJ (Why not?  We've had interesting discussions
about the ones we don't like too.): Um. Um um um. Really can't come up
with one here.

Other authors/books (in no particular order, and bound to have
forgotten plenty): Lois McMaster Bujold; Leslie
Charteris; Georgette Heyer; Alistair Reynolds; Josephine Tey; Robert
Heinlein; Andre Norton; Ellis Peters (the contemporaries, not the
Cadfaels); Pat Wrede; David Weber... that's just what comes to mind
right now. I read a _lot_.

Music: Mildly eclectic. Steve Earle, Melissa Etheridge, Leonard Cohen,
Joan Baez, Apocalyptica (Finnish heavy metal cellists), Pete Atkin,
Sarah McLachlan (first four albums), Mozart, Haydn; that should give an
idea of where the boundaries are. Current "play lots" disc is the
Isserlis/Norrington recording of the Haydn Cello Concerto in C.

Currently reading: The Curse of Chalion, Lois McMaster Bujold.