Introductions

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 14:39:23 EDT 2003

It seems only a minute since I was introducing myself to the list, but here
goes...

Name: Charlie Butler
Living in: Bristol

Age: 40

What I do when not playing here :   Lecturer at UWE (that's University of
the West of England - Edmund Spenser and children's lit, and anything in
between I'm asked to do.) And I write fantasy books, though not to be
mentioned in the same breath as....

Married/partnered/?:  Yes

Offspring (human variety): 3 (including one step) Cecily 14, Nathaniel 8,
Charlotte 4 almost 5.

Offspring (four-legged): None of my own, but I am permitted to officiate at
the periodic obsequies of my children's gerbils. (I also serve as
gravedigger and funerary mason.)

 First DWJ/when:  Charmed Life. About 10 years ago, when I had to sit in an
office in the Education Faculty waiting to see if there were any students
who wanted me to advise them about anything, and there never were, but I did
find this pile of children's books...

 Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!): Fire and Hemlock.

 Least favourite DWJ (Why not?  We've had interesting discussions
 about the ones we don't like too.)  Year of the Griffin, Changeover.

Other authors/books (in no particular order, and bound to have
>forgotten plenty): Oh God, Hallie, why did you have to put this one in?
Okay then - sticking to children's books - Alan Garner, Susan Cooper,
Margaret Mahy, Tove Jansson, C.S. Lewis, Kenneth Grahame, E Nesbit, Nina
Beachcroft (no one ever mentions her for some reason but I did love Under
the Enchanter), plus all the ones I'll think of as soon as I hit Send.

Music: Oh yeah, that's the plinky-plonky stuff you hear in cafes, right? My
brother's a composer, and I kind of OD'd on classical music early on.
Nowadays I listen (if at all) to folk. Also like REM and similar. And I have
a thing about Michael Nyman - but probably only as an adjunct to my thing
about Peter Greenaway. Drowning by Numbers is probably my favourite film
(though the Wicker Man runs it close).

Currently reading: For professional reasons I'm reading everything Penelope
Lively has ever written, but enjoying it too!

And I now have a website (did I mention that before?)...
http://mysite.freeserve.com/charlesbutler

 Charlie