Introductions

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Thu Jun 19 12:56:44 EDT 2003

Name: Anna McDuff (Yes, *those* McDuffs, the Sons of the Dark One. I'm
half Scottish, half English. The English half is probably more prominent
most of the time and that hails from Hampstead)

Living in: London, which has been much too hot & steamy this week, but I'm
not about to emigrate from my beloved city yet as the theatre has been
blindingly good lately.  I saw a rollicking performance of Tom Stoppard's
Jumpers on Monday & I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night & Henry
V. After which my friend and I are off to queue up for our new Harry
Potters. No one can say we are not well rounded ;-)

Age: 31

What I do when not playing here: Teach science to psychotherapists.

Married/partnered?: No.

Offsprung/petted?: No. Not so much as a pussy cat. My flat is *really*
small, though very comfy, and I live here with over 3,000 books. Any small
creatures venturing inside would probably wind up pressed flat beneath an
avalanche of books...

First DWJ/when: Charmed Life when I was very young. 8 or 9 or so. My copy
dates from 1980 & that sounds about right. My American stepfather, a huge
DWJ fan himself, gave it to me.

Favourite DWJ: Charmed Life (I am nothing if not loyal)

Least favourite DWJ: Wilkin's Tooth

Other authors/books (in no particular order, and bound to have forgotten
plenty): Jane Haddam, Connie Willis, Sheri Tepper, Nicholas Blake, Tua
Forsstrom, Jane Austen, Jonathan Kozol, Edmund Crispin, Mercedes Lackey,
MV Hughes, Dorothy Parker, Sharon Shinn, Gladys Mitchell, Dorothy Sayers,
Elinor M Brent-Dyer... In general I will read almost anything provided it
meets certain basic standards of good writing. I love autobiographies.
Poetry. Plays (though I prefer to see those live). Essays. I have an
enormous collection of murder mysteries, but I'm very bored with what is
being published in that genre now, the only current mystery author I'm
*really* excited about is Jane Haddam...

Music: Very important to me, have v eclectic tastes including a lot of
experimental stuff. Vocal and choral music are an especial love,
particularly experimental stuff like Blixa Bargeld, Sheila Chandra &
Meredith Monk. And I am a sucker for a good harmony. But as a rough
overview, here's what's near my hifi right now (walks over to check):
Einstuerzende Neubauten, Thomas Koener, Yungchen Lhamo, Sheila Chandra,
Low, Mediaeval Baebes, Arvo Part, David Sylvian, Meret Becker, Meredith
Monk and a strange little cd I can't seem to get enough of, The Langley
Schools Music Project: Innocence And Despair, featuring a choir of 1970s
untrained rural Canadian schoolchildren singing pop songs from their day.
Their version of Space Oddity has to be heard to be believed :-)

Currently reading: Way too many webpages, too much email & just the
right amount of the New York Review Of Books!

	Anna