Merlin Conspiracy Review

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Jun 17 05:28:17 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:54:29AM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>(Being fair, Nick does say she's his "ideal".  That's before she speaks to
>him, I think...)

It seems to me that this is a very realistic non-relationship: for the
most part, he fancies her but doesn't do anything about it, she doesn't
even notice. :-)

>And the worst nightmare is being asked to review a
>book by someone you like as a person, but you hate the book...  It seems
>cowardly (and cheating the potential reader/buyer) not to say why you
>didn't like it, but even so...

Speaking as an occasional reviewer (of technical books, which are rather
easier) and frequent user of reviews, I find I don't really care whether
the reviewer liked the book or not (though the reviews of a book that
the reviewer hated are often more fun to read); what matters is that the
_reasons_ for the like or dislike are clearly stated. A reviewer whose
taste is consistently opposed to mine is more useful than one who
usually but not always agrees with me.

Roger