Merlin Conspiracy Review

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Jun 16 18:27:45 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|I never invented a murder in a book I was reviewing.  I don't think that
|comes into the category 'fine-tuning', I'd call it simply inaccuracy.

Well, there are definitely some flaws in the review.  I was just
defending the review from other charges.  ;)  Short reviews aren't
perfect; they aren't meant to be.  They're to convince people either to
buy or not buy the book, and as long as they neither misrepresent
anything important, nor condemn or praise in a judgement that's
fundamentally based on the inaccuracies, they have a little slop.  I do
some reviews for free, others for $30/book.  I already spend over an
hour angsting over each review, not counting reading time.  I might make
mistakes from time to time, and I'm okay with that.  (But if I ever
judge a book harshly, I make damn sure I have the facts I'm condemning
accurately.)

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't point out flaws in the review; of
course you should!  I'm in knee-jerk-denfense-of-the-underpaid-reviewer
mode, here.  Flawed review != malicious or lazy reviewer.  Not that you
said it did, but ... like I said.  Knee-jerk defense.

I asked for Merlin Conspiracy but it had already been promised out.  So
I'm glad I didn't get it, or I might have been the target.  ;)

|It's a funny length,
|actually, word-count 273; does the count include the headers and they bring
|it up to 300, or were there other books within the same review (as it
|were)?

My maximum drop-dead count right now is 175.  I can see HB decreeing 275
for certain books.

|Actually, I ought not to have been rude about
|the lady whose name is on the review, it may not have been her fault.

True.  I've had some terrible wrongs committed on reviews I've written.
Not least changing "a compelling choice" to "a must" as a review
finisher for a book I most certainly did *not* consider a must.  Luckily
that journal doesn't put out names on reviews.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Before everything else I'm a human being.
					- Nora, _A Dolls' House_