DWJ to Australia (was RE: September 6th)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 07:27:41 EDT 2003

Jon Noble informed me:

>You know
>> those sort of hoops over
>> the train, with the wires running along between 'em
>> parallel with the track
>> below?
>The bits on the top of an electric train used to get
>the electricity from overhead wires are called
>pantographs - so now you all know. I have no idea why
>they are so called but suspect that it is by visual
>analogy with the drawing instrument of the same name.

Thank you!  Mind you, I'm not sure anyone would know
for sure what I was talking about if I said it took
four pantographs down the line with it for a while, so
I'll probably have to explain anyhow; but it is good
to know what the right word *is*.


To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at suberic.net with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at http://suberic.net/dwj/list/

More information about the Dwj mailing list