OT: Small Island (was Re: Vienne and others)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 05:52:40 EDT 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> >> When I was a child the population of London was
> >> greater
> >> than that of Australia, or so I was told by the
> >> teacher.
> >They were probably using an old text book as the
> >poulation of Australia would have overtaken that of
> >Greater London in the late 1930s (or else you're
> older
> >than I assumed)
>
> I seem to recall that it was just over and just
> under
> nine million, for what that's worth.

Australia's population reached 9 million in the 1950s,
the reference I used gave the population of Greater
London as about 7.5 million in the mid-1960s, however
often with figures for cities there is some debate as
to exactly what constitutes the city. Some argue that
Newcastle (and also Wollongong to the south) are now
really part of Sydney which gives Sydney a population
of about 5 million and a land area larger than
southern Britain. (Horrible thought)

Jon