Lackey (was Re: I graduated, indirectly thanks to DWJ!)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 11 11:52:05 EDT 2003

> irritation is that fantasy readers should *need to be told* that they ought
> not to ignore the miserable child next door and turn their backs and walk
> away, they ought to be bothering to find out what is going on.  (Surely
> having enough imagination to be a fantasy reader should mean one would
> notice a miserable child and wonder why it was so unhappy-looking?)

I think it's more that the books target adolescents... and adolescents
sometimes just don't have the real-world coping skills to figure out how
to use the real-world resources to help others-- or themselves.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.