Pub-meet (provisional)

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 12:32:00 EDT 2003

Minnow, quoting me

>>Wow.  This is a frightening idea!  Yes!  Yes!
>
> (Why is it frightening?  DWJ isn't a Scary Lady, she's a Good Thing.)

I don't know why.  But meeting Great People scares me.

> and DWJ says:
>
> her calendar has nothing on September 6th, and she has now pencilled in
> going-to-a-pub-in-Bristol and talking *with* people on that date.  She
> suggests the Saturday rather than any other day because people may be at
> work during the week.

Aaagh!  The one day I can guarantee not to be available!  What is this?  Travel
jinx at a distance?  (Or does travel jinx presuppose distance?  Oh well.)

> I will research local pubs and find one that combines reasonable food (and
> a cook who knows that 'lactose free' means *no milk at all, no, not even
> butter in the margarine*) with reasonable peace and quiet, even on a
> Saturday.

Hmm.  You could do worse than the Miners Arms near Priddy.  I've no idea what
it's like now, come to think of it - it was years ago that I last ate there.
But the food was good, it was uncrowded, and the music was unobtrusive.

> Once that's been done and DWJ has approved the pub (probably by having
> lunch there and sampling the beer just to be on the safe side) I'll post
> details to the list, like how to get to the pub and at roughly what time
> DWJ plans to be there.
>
> Does that sound a sensible way to proceed?  And is anyone else up for it?

Go for it!  And as I stand behind the book stall at our (rather belated) church
Summer Fair, I shall think of you all having a good time.  Yah! Envy!

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.