Pub-meet (provisional)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 10:49:12 EDT 2003

And Philip wrote:

>Wow.  This is a frightening idea!  Yes!  Yes!

(Why is it frightening?  DWJ isn't a Scary Lady, she's a Good Thing.)

and DWJ says:

her calendar has nothing on September 6th, and she has now pencilled in
going-to-a-pub-in-Bristol and talking *with* people on that date.  She
suggests the Saturday rather than any other day because people may be at
work during the week.

Her caveats are:

[1] she has to go to Edinburgh at the end of August for the Festival, and
although she is flying there and back, if it has a bad effect on her and
leaves her laid up she won't be able to keep an engagement to sit in a pub
for any length of time a week later

[2] somebody else can do any arranging that's needed because she's blowed
if she will, but she wants to have a say in which pub it is

[3] she expects to be ferried to and from the pub in question -- but she
will forego the stretch limo, an ordinary car will do... (There's no way a
stretch limo could get to DWJ's house anyhow.)

So it looks as if this pub-meet might be a workable possibility.  If DWJ is
not able to do it, she will let us know as soon as she possibly can -- she
is always reluctant to make long-term commitments, simply because she so
hates to let people down by having a sprained ankle/major back pain/chronic
arthritis flared up -- so that nobody comes to Bristol on a sleeveless
errand.

I will research local pubs and find one that combines reasonable food (and
a cook who knows that 'lactose free' means *no milk at all, no, not even
butter in the margarine*) with reasonable peace and quiet, even on a
Saturday.

Once that's been done and DWJ has approved the pub (probably by having
lunch there and sampling the beer just to be on the safe side) I'll post
details to the list, like how to get to the pub and at roughly what time
DWJ plans to be there.

Does that sound a sensible way to proceed?  And is anyone else up for it?

Minnow