DWJ listers at the Worldcon and in the UK

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 08:17:27 EDT 2003

Minnow, quoting Kylie:

>>The week after the Worldcon I am heading to the UK - this is in the first
>>week in September.  I know there are quite a few people on the list from
>>various parts of the UK and if we can arrange it I think it would be
>>wonderful to perhaps meet and have dinner somewhere.  And here is a
>>greatly daring thought - perhaps we could invite DWJ to attend the dinner
>>and speak to us?  Thoughts??
>
> I think 'speak with' rather than 'speak to' would be good, because
> 'preparing a speech' is work, whereas coming along to a meal and having fun
> is, well, not-work.  Or what about a pub?  One of the sort that does have
> food but doesn't have music, or is prepared to turn it down so people can
> hear each other speak?

Wow.  This is a frightening idea!  Yes!  Yes!

> It isn't fair to ask her to travel very far, because she has [a] a travel
> jinx and [b] a messed-up spine so traveling too far hurts her afterwards
> even if not at the time.  Make it in Bristol, or within about fifty miles
> of Bristol, and maybe Charlie could chauffeur her....

Suits me.  (I'm only 120 mi from Bristol, so no problems there)

> You'll note that I am volunteering Charlie for this, because I haven't yet
> attained the sort of Zen mastery I think that jinx needs for dealing with
> it.
>
> <grins, ducks, and runs away and hides in the shrubbery>
> <puts up periscope just above bush-level to check Charlie's whereabouts>

A periscope for use in the shrubbery?  Is this for spying on snogging seniors,
or something?  (Yes, I know, Dan used binoculars.  But a periscope makes more
sense!)

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.