OT: Small Island (was Re: Vienne and others)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 21:05:39 EDT 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> I always knew that Britain had History but no
> Geography, America had Geography but no History, but
> hadn't remembered that Australia ought to be put in
> the
> American camp on that.  :-)

Actually much of Australia has no geography either -
it's just nothing in all directions. The Darling River
at Menindee (where we used to go for a swim) is 2000km
from its ocean outlet but only 80 metres above sea
level. As a result it can take flood waters months to
reach the place (which may well be still in drought)
and months to flow on.

> When I was a child the population of London was
> greater
> than that of Australia, or so I was told by the
> teacher.

They were probably using an old text book as the
poulation of Australia would have overtaken that of
Greater London in the late 1930s (or else you're older
than I assumed)

> This demonstrated how crowded London was/is rather
> than
> the emptiness of Australia, even if there are
> whopping
> great tracts of desert in Australia in which not
> many
> people try to live.  (Personally I think of London
> as a
> whopping great tract of desert, with a few outposts
> of
> civilisation....)

What qualifies as an outpost of civilisation?

Jon