OT: Small Island (was Re: Vienne and others)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jun 9 18:14:50 EDT 2003

Jon marvelled:

>Gee!!! I never quite realised that Britain was so
>small, 160km is the Distance from Sydney to Newcastle,
>and I think of Newcastle as being "just outside" or
>"almost a part of" Sydney. My daughter found it easier
>to commute from home to university in Sydney than to
>live in the suburbs and travel in (not having to cook
>also had something to do with it - but it only added
>about 30 min each way to her travel times). When I
>taught in Broken Hill we'd travel that far, and back,
>after work for a swim and a beer at Menindee. (and
>that trip took less than 90 minutes on those roads)

I always knew that Britain had History but no
Geography, America had Geography but no History, but I
hadn't remembered that Australia ought to be put in the
American camp on that.  :-)

When I was a child the population of London was greater
than that of Australia, or so I was told by the
teacher.

This demonstrated how crowded London was/is rather than
the emptiness of Australia, even if there are whopping
great tracts of desert in Australia in which not many
people try to live.  (Personally I think of London as a
whopping great tract of desert, with a few outposts of
civilisation....)

:-)

Minnow