Ile de Rien

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jun 9 11:57:44 EDT 2003

>On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>>  Italy?  That's interesting.  I'd only felt sort of French from the
>>  Three Muskateers type feel to _The Element of Fire_ and the names.
>>  Though there is Ravenna or Ravena or however it's spelled, right?
>>  :-)
>
>	I think what makes my mind ping "Italy, Italy" is the sense I get
>of lots of small states jostling with each other & forming alliances &
>attacking each other with equal gusto, and the way the cities are laid out
>with these great, and mostly well defended, noble houses equally prepared
>to ally & attack their neighbouring houses, and the vibrant cosmopolitan
>culture and just something in the general attitude.  And I can definitely
>sense French, German and Swiss influences as well, but then again that's a
>mixture I also associate with northern Italian states of the past...

I like that.  Must keep an eye out for it when I come around to a reread.

>But
>of course I haven't finished Element Of Fire yet, so all my impressions
>may change :-). Is City of Bones also set in the Ile de Rien universe?
>Haven't even started reading that one yet, but a glance at its back cover
>blurb gave me a distinctly middle eastern impression... Does Ile de Rien
>have middle eastern neighbours?

I was about to answer confidently that _City of Bones_ wasn't in the
same universe, and then vaguely remembered reading a review that
hinted it was - but it's gone now.   It's certainly a different part
of that universe, if it is the same.  The description of CoB on
Wells' website doesn't say anything about it, but I did find this
(old) question and answer page.
http://www.rtis.com/mwells/interview.htm

Hallie (just dying to read that book about sewers and sewer workers).