dwj list administrivia

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Sun Jun 8 23:51:17 EDT 2003

This is a periodic posting to remind folks that we're all
friends|colleagues|fans here, and should all behave civilly and with
respect to each other at all times.

Some of you might be reading this and thinking either "oh no! she's
yelling at *me*!" or "praise be, Deborah's finally saying something to
him/her".  Nothing could be further from the truth.  If I'm annoyed at
anyone, it is myself, for not having a list faq which is posted
periodically that covers these sorts of things.  [adds to todo list
which now stretches to Jupiter.]  So this is for new list folks as well
as a periodic reminder for everyone.

However, please remember that we are all, here, brilliant and wonderful,
except for Melissa, who is a Genius and Allways Right.  If you think
someone is acting less than brilliant and wonderful, then ask for a
clarification; something has probably been lost in translation.  Also
please remember that it's very difficult for tone to be conveyed in
email.  Just because you know something is a joke, doesn't mean everyone
else does, as well.  Add to that the fact that we're an international
list, with idioms not everyone shares and many non-native English
speakers, and you'll realise it may be easy for people to miscontrue
what you thought was funny.  So add some of those pesky smileys if
you're not positive that your tone is conveyed.  ;)

And once again, my thanks to you all for making this list respectful,
informative, funny, fun, and flame-free for however many years.  I love
you all.  Smoochies all around!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic:

"*Firestarting* is one of the basic MAGIC TALENTS, and often manifests
at an early age. This must be dangerous (see BUILDING MATERIALS), but
the inhabitants of Fantasyland have learnt to take it in their stride.
The Firestarter has only to concentrate for a canlde or fuel in a grate
to burst into flame.  It is a lowly Talent.  Young MAGIC USERS often
apologize that this is all they can do.  And thank goodness it seems
confined wholly to candles and grates.  We are probably lucky that in
out own world it is not nearly so common."

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Wes: "My gypsy curse sometimes prevent me from seeing the truth.  Oh, Buffy!"
Cordy: "Yes, Angel?"