Context and timing (was; Couple of questions...)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 18:20:10 EDT 2003

> I was struck at the beginning by the way that other people at the funeral
> clearly resented the way the bequests seemed to end up with Laurel, which
> implies that she isn't universally loved even by her own people, and yet I can't
> help thinking (which is of course by no means a contradiction) that in many
> ways their own status derives purely from hers.

It abruptly occurs to me that this particular issue is one that DWJ was very
actively exploring at this point in her career. And we DO get a rather at some
remove up front and personal look at what one suspects may be a very close
approximation of life in Laurel's court when we take a second look at the book
that jones wrote immediately before this F & H (although it was published
later), which is to say, Aunt Maria. Aunt Maria was not universally beloved by her
Court, either. And her rule was not exactly benevolent, nor was it designed to
promote the greatest good for the greatest number. In fact Maria and Laurel
are very nearly the same person for all that they use different tools.

And the behaviour of the male characters in both books seem to be along very
much the same sort of continum when you take a closer look at them. In fact
both these books might well repay a close comparison if one chose to do one.