Leathery-Winged Avians (was Re: Derk makes me uneasy)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 13:31:13 EDT 2003

Joe said that Minnow wrote:

> were.  And the geese have a -- what's the
proper word?  Goscine? -- sense
> of humour, of course.  They would.

'Anserine' is the word. ("fois gras is the
diseased anserine liver
stuffed with truffles"). The OED's second meaning

is this,
interestingly:

"2. As the goose is conventionally (though
erroneously) a type of
unintelligence: Stupid, silly.">

Joe
<Now that would hardly apply to Derk's geese,
would it?>

It doesn't really seem to apply to geese at all.
I suspect they are silly in the same way as
Phillis in TOG refers to "Cart's silly remarks"
meaning they don't do what people want them to.

=====
Ven