Couple of questions...

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Jun 8 13:06:52 EDT 2003

Charlie:

>  > Finally, on-topic.  I was thinking about the magical and non-magical
>>  'dark arts' type emotional manipulators in the books, and in the
>>  non-magical category, was thinking of Ivy and Seb.  Then I got to
>>  wondering why Seb didn't appear to be a magic user, while Mr. Leroy
>>  was - do people think Mr. Leroy had any magical ability of his own,
>>  or did he just get a loan of some of Laurel's while he was her
>>  consort/hubby?  In which case, Seb would get it when he took over
>>  that position?   I know he's awful, but I can't help feeling sorry
>>  for him about that, even if it won't kill him.
>
>Well, that may not kill him, but Laurel's pool will presumably do the job
>once Tom Lynn and Lesley are no longer around... :-)

Or when another Polly/Janet comes along to save that sacrifice.  But
which fate is worse - the pool or Laurel?   Talk about trying to
figure out the lesser of two evils!

>The precise powers of the other members of Laurel's unseelie court are never
>really defined, are they? I was struck at the beginning by the way that
>other people at the funeral clearly resented the way the bequests seemed to
>end up with Laurel, which implies that she isn't universally loved even by
>her own people, and yet I can't help thinking (which is of course by no
>means a contradiction) that in many ways their own status derives purely
>from hers.

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that, though I'd noticed that birth
into the court doesn't mean you have to be a part of it.  (Ann,
saying her mother was a Leroy.)   Which, come to think of it, sort of
answers my original question a bit - the power may have been
Laurel's, but there is *some* degree of entitlement from birth, isn't
there?

>Mr Leroy, as a 'permanent' consort, might be in a slightly
>different position, but with him too I sometimes got the impression that he
>resented being dependent on his wife for his own status (cf Prince Philip?).

:-)  I agree about his resentment as well - shows if nothing else in
his acting against Tom on his own initiative.  I wonder if there
could be the slightest hint of the arrangement of the male characters
in threes (as mentioned in 'The Heroic Ideal') in this as well?  Tom,
Mr. Leroy and Seb, all making some attempt to resist Laurel, though
obviously in very different ways.

Hallie.